Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

 

 

 

                            


 
A work in progress

Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Being loved and giving back

I am extremely lucky that I have so many nice and thoughtful friends! Sometimes I feel that I don't even deserve some of them. To all my friends who will be reading this, thank you so much. I truly feel loved.

It really is a nice feeling - being loved. Sometimes when we go through tough times, we feel like everyone and everything around us are against us and that nobody loves us but we only have to look around. See the roof over your head? That is because your dad loves you so much, he worked hard and is still working hard for you. The slightly burned tilapia you had for dinner last night? That is because your mom was busy making your favorite buko pandan salad while cooking dinner. The lovely sunset? That is because God loves us so much, He wants the day to give way to night so that we can rest. Now do you see how loved we are? Giving back that love is the hard part. Sometimes we become spoiled by all the love that we're getting that we forget to give that love back. But I learned that a simple "thank you" and those little unnoticed deeds would do...



Growing up, I more or less knew that someday I would become a doctor, a kids' doctor. During my internship days however, I was exposed to the different faces of hospital life and I thought of becoming an OB-Gyne instead but I couldn't resist those little babies. I love playing and talking to them. I hate seeing them lying sick in a hospital bed. Those little kids are meant to play, go to school and grow up to be good doctors or lawyers or whatever they want to be. They do not have any business in the hospital. It breaks my heart to see kids with terminal illnesses that is why when a very good friend from med school texted me yesterday that her 2 year old nephew, Gelo had biliary atresia and would be needing a liver transplant soon, I had no qualms about asking YOU for help. A liver transplant would cost about Php 5-6M and since it is not yet done here in the Philippines, they will have to go abroad (Singapore have the facilities to perform liver transplants). I learned that a Singaporean organization promised them that they will help shoulder the expenses but when they heard that Gelo had 2 relatives who are both resident doctors, they retracted their promise. My friend may be a doctor but she is just a resident and therefore cannot afford the Php 6M. Gelo has been sick since he was 2 1/2 months old and his family can no longer afford his medical expenses and the much needed liver transplant.

If you have a few pesos or dollars to spare, please help Gelo have his liver transplant before time runs out for him. His family will appreciate all the help you can give them. If you want to know more about Gelo, you can visit his website here. If you want a copy of his medical history or if you have any questions, please feel free to email me. Thank you very much and God bless you all!


Posted by nikki:: 3/28/2006 05:27:00 PM
|

---------------oOo---------------