Image hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by PhotobucketImage hosting by Photobucket

 

 

 

                            


 
A work in progress

Thursday, May 04, 2006

"It is our choice that shows what we truly are, far more than our abilities"

I again covered for my mentor because of an out of town convention she had to attend. I should be happy because it is an opportunity for me to learn. You see, she gets to see an average of more than 50 patients per clinic day and that is excluding her admitted patients. Not everyone is willing to see a substitute so I don't mind if relatives back out when they see that I am the one looking at patients. Yes, I do get to see lots of different illnesses in her clinic, I really appreciate that what I am dreading though is the part where you meet different types of people who can really test your patience.

The other day, this young couple came to the clinic sans her children (she has 2 and I have seen her kids before at the clinic). The woman was due for her second dose of Hepatitis B vaccine. Since it was only for a vaccine, I didn't mind attending to her. Sitting down opposite me, her husband sitting at the other chair near the door reading a book, she asked me if she could ask me something concerning her housemaid. Apparently, the 30+ year old housemaid was diagnosed with hyperthroidism several months ago, was prescribed medications but was not compliant because the medicine was expensive. Could I prescribe a cheaper medicine for her? She asked me lots of questions that I answered as best as I could. I was uncomfortable answering the mom's question because (1) the patient was not with her, (2) the patient was an adult and (3) hyperthyroidism is not a simple illness and I am not in the best position to treat her. I told the mom that it would be best if the housemaid see an endocrinologist to treat her. The husband suddenly butted in, looked at me and spoke to his wife in another language which I obviously didn't understand then went back to reading his book. I really was offended by the husband's attitude. If he wanted to read his book, he should've just stayed outside in the waiting room, if he wanted to hear what her wife and I was talking about, he should've had the courtesy to set his book aside and listened to us. I knew he was listening to us because he looked up several times from his book to look at me and his wife. Its okay to butt in the conversation but he should've done so in a language that I can at least understand unless of course he wanted to say something that he didn't want me to hear. Ang bastos di ba? I finished the consultation quickly with my temper on tight rein.

I really cannot understand why some people feel so superior or why some people do not even have an ounce of courteousness in them. I also cannot understand why some rich people think that just because they are rich, they can get away with an "I own the world so you should worship me" attitude. Mahirap bang gumalang sa kapwa? If only we learn how to respect ALL the people we meet everyday, the world would be a better place to live in.


Posted by nikki:: 5/04/2006 11:18:00 PM
|

---------------oOo---------------